Rail Budget 2012 was today announced by Rail Minister – Dinesh Trivedi. One of the most striking points of this year’s Budget were the Fares. The Rail ministry has announced a marginal hike in railway ticket fares starting from 2 paise per km. to 30 paise per km.
The rise in the ticket fares have been made across all classes and all types of trains. Here is brief overview and explanation of the fare structure of Indian Railways after Budget 2012:
- 2 paise per km rise in ticket fares for suburban and ordinary Second Class train tickets
- 3 paise per km rise in ticket fares for Mail, Express Second Class tickets
- 5 per paise per km rise in ticket fares for Sleeper Class tickets
- 10 paise per km rise in ticket fares for AC Chair Car, AC-3 Tier and First Class tickets.
- 15 paise per km rise in ticket fares AC-2 Tier tickets
- 30 paise per km rise in ticket fares for AC 1st class ticket
Not only the cost of train tickets have been increased, the cost of a standard platform ticket has been increased to Rs. 5 from the earlier Rs. 3.
So according to the new Budget 2012, here is an approximate class-wise increase in the cost of ticket fares for a 1500KM train journey:
AC 1st Class Ticket – Rs. 450 more
AC 2-Tier – Rs. 225 more
AC 3-Tier / AC Chair Car – Rs. 150 more
Sleeper Class – Rs. 75 more